Salted Caramel – I think most people love it and if you don’t, maybe give it a go. My fondest memories of caramel sauce was back in my school days. My best friend and I would go to McDonalds after school and order a sundae. This was our treat. I would get my favourite chocolate, which consisted of chocolate sauce at the top and chocolate sauce at the bottom. My friend would get the caramel. When I think of caramel I always think of my friend because she loves it so much. Funny how we always associate food and memories together.
I have a sweet tooth and don’t want to miss out so now I can still enjoy a salted caramel smoothie full of goodness and no guilt.
So, are you are wondering how you get the caramel taste from this recipe? You need to get some dates, add a little hot water to make it into a paste and mix well. Then add a pinch of salt. This paste forms a healthy version of caramel.
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup coconut milk or milk of your choice
- 6 dates
- 1 tbspn maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 tspn cinnamon
- 1/4 tspn salt
- Coconut flakes
- Cinnamon powder
- Add dates to a bowl with a little boiling water - around 3-4 tablespoons
- Let it sit for a few minutes until soft
- Mix with a fork until you get a paste
- Add a pinch of salt
- In a blender, place frozen bananas, milk, maple syrup and blend until smooth.
- Then add in your date puree and blend again
- Serve in a tall glass and add ice if you like it extra cold
- Top with coconut flakes and cinnamon powder